Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ode to Gin

Recently I've noticed a common theme emerging from the blogs of friends and acquaintances: that of gin. This delightful drink, in most of the entries, is treated with an air of reverence; a reverence not often bestowed on its close friends, beer and wine.

According to the entries, gin is what we drink when we are delightfully curled up on our porch couch, swapping witticisms. Similarly, it seems that it is gin which makes any launch go from a church hall filled with geeky twenty-somethings, into a gallery frequented by people that previously featured on Kate Moss's party list. Gin, my friends, is what makes a duck turn into a swan.

And of course, ever the Social Sciences graduate, I felt the need to quantify this dependency. So voila- do what you will with the following statistics:

Pusia: 1 (certainly NOT representative of my Gin-swigging)

Mary K: 10 (technically I don't know Mary K, but she really does she love gin)

Dave: 0

Eli: 0

Jono: 0

Daniel: 0

And remarkably:

Jess: 17/over a 100

Gelatinous Hands: 20/43

Is there any point mentioning that the only people indulging in this subject are women? Let's let the wisdom of the delightfully Irish Dylan Moran decide:

"The most dangerous drink is gin- you have to be really, really careful with that. And you also have to be 45, female and sitting on the stairs."

So yeah..stairs.....and statistics......and gin.

3 comments:

nixwilliams said...

pah! this is because you don't read my livejournal! the other day i made basil infused gin, which i served with tonic over ice, slices of cucumber, fresh basil and slices of apple and lemon.

GIN!

Pusia said...

Oh Jesus, really?

But, you see, I thought by including you I'd have to avoid using gender dichotomies...which are everybody's friend.

;)

Unknown said...

Another gin lover! Excellent.

I'm slightly surprised that I have achieved such a remarkable status re: gin swilling. I guess drinking gin does lend one an illusion of elegance, even if you do end up falling over/in various states of undress/misplacing one's dignity.

In any case, it's a drink best enjoyed in the bathtub, I think.